Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

New name, who dis?

Blog posts and news about the site.

New name, who dis?

Unread postby Wayne » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:59 pm

We've been around a long time. I personally started doing this way back in 2005, when the hair I had was still thick and not white. Jump forward 18 years and what hair I have left is not only pretty sparce on top, but what's left is the colour of snow. Suffice to say I've been doing this for more years than I've done anything else other than be married, be a father, love ripping apart computers or be a sci fi nerd.

Point being, I've been doing this for a long, LONG time. Time has passed, some scams have changed and some scam names have changed. That's what I want to talk about right now. It's happened a lot, but let's keep it simple and focus on one scam in particular to prove the point here.

Way back when, we had something called the "grandparent" scam. That became the "grandchild" scam, which then became the "hi mum" scam and so on and so forth. It's the same scam, just under a different name. I mean, it is LITERALLY the same scam. "I lost my phone, here's my new number", which leads the person into talking to the scammer. It doesn't matter if it's the "lost phone" scam, the "grandparent" scam, the "grandchild" scam, the "second cousin on my mother's side" scam, the "hi mum" scam or the "hey hey Hilary" scam, it's still the same damn scam. The media (and the antiscam community to a degree) giving it a different name doesn't make it a different scam. All it does is muddy the water and make it appear as if there's multiple scams when there's really just the one scam. Why do they do this? You tell me.... You'd think we would want to keep it as simple as possible to help people realise it's a scam and a well known one at that. Apparently it doesn't work that way though.

Take a look at the scam messages you receive, read through the text, look at the context of the scam and try to find the earliest reference to it you can. Find what it USED to be called and call it that. Don't make it any more confusing than it already is. KISS - Keep It Simple Scambaiters. Those who almost fell for the scam until they found your report on it will thank you for it. I'll thank you for it. That's all that really matters, right? ;)
Click HERE for webcam blackmail/sextortion help.
Do NOT email me for sextortion help. Use the link above. If you ignore this, your message WILL be deleted.
Wayne
Site owner/"cruel and sarcastic" admin.

Return to Blog.