Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Tomi's scam story

Stories we feel worth sharing with others are moved here.

Tomi's scam story

Unread postby Tomi » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:35 am

It seems that everybody is sharing their story, so let me share mine too. :)

My life was going well, having already established my life here in the States as a foreign worker, have some friends from home and new ones. Though I am on marrying age (or a little bit more beyond that) and lots of my friends teasing me when am I settling down, it is really not a big issue for me. I have broken up with my longtime boyfriend because long-distance relationship did not work for us. I was ready to socialize, had occasional dates but never did I entertain the thought of online dating. I was always on Facebook (to connect with my friends and family from home which is across the globe) and I was protective of my privacy but I did not realize that I had mistakenly changed the privacy setting to public thus enabling me to receive messages from non-FB friends.

It happened one day last December. I had lots of messages from people I don’t know personally, wanting to know me. Since I was in a very good mood that day, I replied to some of them just trying to be friendly. One caught my attention, from Martin Woolford, complimenting me on my picture and I just replied “Thanks”. Then the next day, I received a lengthy reply describing himself. Honestly, he was not really good looking but I found him humble and charming through his words. More exchange of messages followed until he asked me to communicate through YM and I agreed because that was more convenient for me because I can do it through my smartphone, so anytime and anywhere I am. I just regarded it as for fun but then he started getting serious and professing his love. That was when I decided to end it up because I am not in favor of long distance relationship (as he claimed he was a businessman from UK) and it was too good to be true for me. But he was able to convince me to continue it and it was getting more serious. To be honest, I was liking it. Emails, sms, YMs, frequent phone calls…I woke up always inspired those days. I was not aware that romance scams existed at that time so though I have some doubts, I still thought that he was genuine. Then one day (it was March 3rd to be exact this year), he was going to Malaysia for some business and after that was about to visit me here. Then suddenly there was a problem, he was short of funds to clear the custom duties and I was his only hope. Compassionate as I was, I was willing to help him without questions, and sent him the money (total of $7,800). After a week, he said he was ready to go back home and will send me back my money right away. And then, I received a call claiming to be a Malaysian police saying that “my man” was in custody for violation of custom laws and since they could not contact anyone but me, I had to raise $9,200 to bail him out. That was when I checked British Embassy in Malaysia website and read on their homepage about scam. I called them informing of a British national being detained and she directly told me (thanks to her whoever she was) that it was a scam and advised to stop all the contacts.

I goggled “ scam” and it led me to an anti-scam site (RS). Though it was already late, I read so many romance scam stories there and I realized that I was not alone. I still received lots of calls (at least 15 calls/day) from my scammer for a week after that) but I totally ignored all of them having 100% convinced and educated that all was a scam. Oh, I can still imagine the pain, the unexplainable hurt I felt that time. It was beyond comprehension. But it was also during that time that I received lots of encouraging words and supports from wonderful people and some of them are here in ScamSurvivors (you know who you are). Their supports have helped me greatly to heal. The first week was not easy. There were always tears but I realize now that those tears were not for my scammer but for myself, for the extreme hurt I had. My therapy was reading other scam stories, exchanging emails from people who have shown their support, listening to inspiring songs and of course prayer. My nature of work also helped me survive those difficult times where we have to be always pleasant and cheerful to our patients (I kept smiling though I was hurting inside). I never told any of my friends and my family about this but I got to talk to them every day and that helped too.

Fast forward to present (exactly 43 days since I discovered that I was scammed), the wound is still there but it is healing extremely well. I would like to take this chance to thank all those who have sent their messages and support (to mention Pinky, duckhunter, firefly and most especially Ruffled Feathers who did not left me on my entire healing process). :) :) :) During the time when I was in much pain, even a simple word of consolation is a great comfort for me. I am doing well now and I guess I can say that I am almost, if not completely, healed. And I am now also starting to work to recover the financial loss. I volunteered to do weekends and some overtimes to earn the money back. Because the money that I gave away was supposed to be my vacation money to my home country and I really want to go home this Christmas. God willing, I can raise this up.

Now, to give back, I want to help others too who have been scammed. I was thinking of what way. I can never be a scam baiter because I am not really comfortable with playing with emotions though I know that scammer’s emotions are not real. But don’t get me wrong, I really appreciate the job of the scam baiters, they are doing a fantastic job to help save more scam victims and I salute them. So, when I learned about this site and most especially some of the people who have helped me are here too, without hesitation, I decided to join. In my own little way, through my support and compassion the way I was helped, I can help others survive too, to let them know that they are not alone; to turn the romance scam victims into survivors and victors.
Tomi
Senior survivor

Re: Tomi's scam story

Unread postby SlapHappy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:52 am

Thanks for joining us at SS and telling your story here. I'm sure you will help others here. :)
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Unread postby Pinky » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:00 am

I think it's safe to say you've found a cure. It's not a fast one, mind you, but an easy prescription to take. That is service to others. This is the greatest healing advice anyone can give. When were have experience and knowledge, it does us no good to keep it to ourselves. When we help others, the natural consequences are happiness. I promise you scammers will never know the joy and blessings you will.
Pinky
Junior survivor

Unread postby Ruffled Feathers » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:33 am

Tomi, to say I am thrilled to read your story, is an understatement ---- I am so proud of you and how well you have done in your recovery. I have to admit, I am flattered by your recognition of me, BUT --- you and only YOU, could recover as well as you have, you have done it yourself, also, there have been so many others helping you along the way, and I am pleased to be one of them and I am sure they are as well.
The money situation, is huge, however, what is more important, you have learned a life lesson that only a scammer could teach, and I am not giving him one bit of credit, but without this happening, we could not be the strong and/or stronger people we have all become, all due to the wonderful people who have encouraged us and because of them, you and I have now become strong once again.
I look forward to working with you, helping the newcomers emotionally survive and get healthy once again.
Know I always look forward to your correspondence and love watching how you have evolved into a strong and loving woman. When you told the story of one of your patients, knowing you were in trouble, because she sensed it, and sent her grandson to buy roses for you, now you know, people understand what has happened to you.
Tomi, just keep up the good work and when you go home to your family, you will be able to tell them the story of what happened to you, and they will be so proud that you have come through is awful stage of your life, but you have come through it as a strong woman. I am so proud to know you.
Bless you my Girl, love always, RF
A scammer is only as good as the fear he creates.
Ruffled Feathers
Senior survivor

Unread postby Tomi » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:13 am

Thanks Slappy & Pinky for your comments. And of course, to you RF! You made me a little teary eyed w/ your words. :D Yeah, I remember the flowers and to add the fact that patient was confused, demented & can hardly follow instructions but still was so perceptive. I'm honored to be working w/ u here & I feel blessed to have known you.
Tomi
Senior survivor

Unread postby duckhunter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:17 am

Tomi, your story is one that shows how hard it is for intelligent people to avoid the web of these criminals. You tried not to get caught but did nevertheless. I'm so sorry.

Never concern yourself that you won't be a baiter. That takes a certain strange sort of personality, and you should perhaps be glad that you don't have it. What you do have, from what I understand, is a desire to help. That is amazing and special. Over the years many people have dropped in to sites like this to be healed, then left to live their lives, but very few stay to help others. Your desire to help will be accepted with open arms, and I doubt you will ever regret the decision to do so. We could sure use all the help we can get.
"It is good to see what is beautiful, but you must also observe the ugly things ... you must be awake to everything ... you must be exposed to things which you don't quite understand, for the more you ponder over these matters which may be difficult for you, the greater will be your capacity to live richly." Krishnamurti.
duckhunter
Insert funny custom rank here.

Return to Tell your story here.