Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Scam leaves Portsmouth woman out $25K

Did you read about scams in the papers, or see it on TV? Let us know.

Scam leaves Portsmouth woman out $25K

Unread postby Tomi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:59 pm

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/ ... -206060364

By Elizabeth Dinan
edinan@seacoastonline.com
June 06, 2012 2:00 AM

PORTSMOUTH — Claudia Leblanc had just finished two and a half years of breast cancer treatments, and lost her father, when she decided to join an online dating service.

"I was ready to go out into the dating scene," said Leblanc, a 56-year-old medical professional from Portsmouth.

She joined match.com in April and in less than a week was notified that someone who appeared to be a handsome man from Nashua had sent her a "wink." His profile name was "honestman," he e-mailed that "the key to a lasting relationship is complete trust," and said he had a dog named Coco.

In the month that followed, Leblanc said, she was romanced by "honestman," who "said everything a woman wants to hear," while he conned her out of $25,000. She said all of her savings is gone, her credit cards are maxed, and she's behind on her bills by a couple of months.

"I feel ashamed," said Leblanc, who is telling her story "for my own healing," as well as to warn others to heed warning signs while looking for love online.

Leblanc said her sister and brother had success with online dating so she decided to follow suit after surviving cancer. She was smitten by honestman's profile, which showed a clean-cut, 56-year-old man named Bennett Lawson, who had salt-and-pepper hair and a lucrative overseas construction business.

He "seemed nice and wealthy," Leblanc would later type into a federal Internet crime complaint form.

"I'm a first-time user of online dating," she also reported. "All seemed well."
The alleged eligible bachelor told Leblanc he was working one last job building roads in Egypt, then planned to retire. They e-mailed, they instant-messaged each other, and they spoke on the telephone.

It was during one of those conversations in May when Lawson said he was in Italy signing a contract for the Egyptian construction work, had hired a lot of people and needed an iPhone 4 and an iPad, Leblanc said. While "sweet talking" her, he asked Leblanc if she'd be willing to ship the electronics to an agent in Africa, who would get them to him in Egypt, she said.

Leblanc bought the devices and shipped them to Africa, as requested.

Why?

"Because he kept sweet-talking me," she said. "He said he'd give me $50,000 when he got home."

Later, Lawson asked for $6,000 for a camera lens he said he needed and he e-mailed a link showing the exact lens he'd buy. When he got back to New Hampshire, the bachelor promised, he'd pay Leblanc double the amount of her loan, she said was the deal.

So she wired the money and he was "very thankful," Leblanc recalled.

More romantic messages were exchanged, then came a request for $10,000 to buy dynamite for the Egyptian road work, said Leblanc, who agreed to wire $2,000. She later wired another $5,000, then $7,000 supposedly for laptops, and another $2,000 he said he needed to ship $5 million worth of gold he'd bought. All of the money, which eventually exceeded $25,000, was wired to Guyana, Leblanc said.
After tapping her savings and credit, Leblanc borrowed from family. And when she told the online bachelor she didn't have any more money to send, he replied that she must not want him to come home to her, she said.

Growing suspicious, Leblanc researched online dating scams and while reading warnings about typical online con artists, she thought, "Oh my God, that's him to a T." Then she searched his profile name and found 81 other "contacts," she said.

She e-mailed the information to the man she thought was her new love and told him she wasn't sending "another dime." His response, Leblanc said, was to ask for another $2,000 to buy an auto part because he'd been in a crash on the way to an airport to come home to her.

Leblanc said she told him she never wanted to speak with him again.

Soon after, as she has for the past 10 years, Leblanc agreed to draw blood during a local police sobriety checkpoint. But this year, she said, she asked to be paid while explaining through tears why she needs the money.

One Portsmouth officer hugged her, while another explained how she should go about filing a federal complaint, she said.

Leblanc knows it's doubtful she'll ever see her money again, but she reported her story to federal investigators "so it can be documented as another international online scam." She said she'd be interested in a support group for similar victims and that she remains a member of match.com.

"I haven't given up," she said. "There's somebody out there for me, I just haven't found him yet."
Tomi
Senior survivor

Re: Scam leaves Portsmouth woman out $25K

Unread postby Wayne » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:40 am

http://thestir.cafemom.com/love_sex/138 ... for_online

Woman Who Fell for Online Dating Scam Should Have Known Better

The fact that one out of five relationships begin online these days isn't all that wild to believe. If you didn't met your S.O. online, your best friend, mother-in-law, or brother did. It's not that bizarre, taboo practice it was even a few years back, thank goodness! But that hasn't stopped the horror stories from rolling out in the media.

The latest: A 56-year-old medical professional from New Hampshire named Claudia Leblanc, who had just lost her father and completed 2½ years of cancer treatments, ended up getting conned out of $25K after connecting with a man on Match.com. A local NH radio station detailed her horrendous story ...

Apparently, the guy sweet-talked Leblanc into believing that he was working on a major construction project in Egypt. He asked her to send an iPhone, an iPad, $6K for a camera lens, and she had no problem doing this for a guy she thought had feelings for her. Again and again, she would wire money overseas. $10K here, $2K there, laptops, etc. He reportedly promised her that he would pay her back double when he returned to the States. Leblanc even borrowed money from family to help her online love out. But, after she had shelled out $25K and had nothing else to spare, he told her she must not care enough for him to come back to the U.S. Wow. Soon, she took to Google and figured out that she had been part of a long con.

While this definitely sounds like a nightmare, what breaks my heart is that this woman failed to confide in someone in her real life who could have told her that this sounded totally sketch and that she was being taken for a ride. What's so gut-wrenching is that she didn't know any better than to believe this guy, or she just wanted so badly to believe him that she coughed up all this dough.

But unfortunately, Leblanc's story also proves that not everyone has the instinct or intuition to gauge who or what is legit on the web. Maybe someone who is a total novice like this should employ the help and guidance of friends or family who have already navigated an online dating site successfully. It can be done! Because even with all the jerks and weirdos out there in the online dating pool, a horror story like this is still more the exception than the rule.

How disturbing is this? Do you think Leblanc should have known better?
Click HERE for webcam blackmail/sextortion help.
Do NOT email me for sextortion help. Use the link above. If you ignore this, your message WILL be deleted.
Wayne
Site owner/"cruel and sarcastic" admin.

Unread postby duckhunter » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Omfg here we go again. You would think these irresponsible `journalists`could find something better to do than pull the wings off flies and set kittens on fire.
"It is good to see what is beautiful, but you must also observe the ugly things ... you must be awake to everything ... you must be exposed to things which you don't quite understand, for the more you ponder over these matters which may be difficult for you, the greater will be your capacity to live richly." Krishnamurti.
duckhunter
Insert funny custom rank here.

Unread postby Wayne » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Actually, I kind of like this one. It has this in it, which I think is very important.

While this definitely sounds like a nightmare, what breaks my heart is that this woman failed to confide in someone in her real life who could have told her that this sounded totally sketch and that she was being taken for a ride. What's so gut-wrenching is that she didn't know any better than to believe this guy, or she just wanted so badly to believe him that she coughed up all this dough.

There's actually helpful advice in this one, which was why I paired it with the original link.
Click HERE for webcam blackmail/sextortion help.
Do NOT email me for sextortion help. Use the link above. If you ignore this, your message WILL be deleted.
Wayne
Site owner/"cruel and sarcastic" admin.

Unread postby Ruffled Feathers » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Thank you Wayne for posting again about this woman in N.H. --- she did not deserve the ridicule this so-called journalist gave her. And then the ridiculous comments that followed - not yours Ducky or Pinky, these others were absolute creeps. Hope they realize that when they go to Starbucks every day or fill their car's gas tanks, they are being scammed, there isn't a cup of coffee on earth that is worth 10 bucks, and our gas gouging oil companies all having us believe there is a shortage. It is people like them, that I can only hope get caught in a romance scam and especially if it is by someone they know, ohhhh poetic justice - can we hope???
RF
A scammer is only as good as the fear he creates.
Ruffled Feathers
Senior survivor

Unread postby duckhunter » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:34 pm

Lol, I plan to go much easier on this one.
"It is good to see what is beautiful, but you must also observe the ugly things ... you must be awake to everything ... you must be exposed to things which you don't quite understand, for the more you ponder over these matters which may be difficult for you, the greater will be your capacity to live richly." Krishnamurti.
duckhunter
Insert funny custom rank here.

Return to Media reports.