Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

South Australians lose $150,000 in online car scam

Did you read about scams in the papers, or see it on TV? Let us know.

South Australians lose $150,000 in online car scam

Unread postby Tomi » Sat May 05, 2012 4:36 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/scammers- ... 6337330125

by: Doug Robertson
Adelaide Now
April 25, 2012 12:00AM

ONLINE scammers have ripped off more than $150,000 from at least a dozen South Australians.

Emma, not her real name, and her husband became the latest victims when they tried to buy a bargain-priced car over the internet about a fortnight ago.

After a series of car registration, engine number and online finance checks, the couple sent $12,500 to an overseas bank account via a bogus website link but never received anything for their hard-earned cash.

Police said at least 12 others had fallen for the elaborate scam by an organised crime group which targets hundreds of thousands around the world.

The scammers duplicate genuine newspaper or online adverts for vehicles, boats or caravans, reduce the sale price to attract inquiries then swiftly redirect prospective buyers to bogus online sites and bank accounts.

Police Commercial Electronic Crime Branch Detective Superintendent Jim Jeffery said when Emma checked on the car and financial details she was directed to the legitimate advert to deflect checks but was duped into paying into the scammers bank account.

She was convinced she was paying in to a legitimate online holding service but the scammers had duplicated that account, changed ABYSM and account numbers to redirect her money to a fake UK transport company through an international transfer.

"I did think it was legitimate," a tearful Emma said.

"When we looked at the original price advertised, we did think we were getting a bargain but ... all the answers coming back from the seller made me feel it was legitimate."

She added: "It's so traumatic to know I've put my family under financial pressure."

Emma said they missed "dawdle" signs on fake websites.

Det-Supt Jeffery said scammers typically wanted transactions done online so they could slip in bogus links.

"Usually there's pressure applied by the scanner as quickly as possible to get the victim diverted from the main recognised online transaction point," he said. "As soon as they can get you on email or online, the risk of their identity being exposed is obviously reduced."

He said once a scam alert was issued, scammers change methods or use another scam. Information on scams are on the ACCC's Scamwatch website, http://www.scamwatch.gov.au.
Tomi
Senior survivor

Return to Media reports.