Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Scammed on skype by someone pretending to be a friend I know

Scammers blackmailing people over webcam footage or photographs. Sometimes referred to as "sextortion". Your first port of call should be www.blackmailscams.com for the steps needed.

Scammed on skype by someone pretending to be a friend I know

Unread postby imo166 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:57 am

I reached this forum when trying to google sykpe blackmail, I think I have been scammed. It is going on for over a month but no monetary blackmail yet. This person claims to be someone I actually know in day to day life but he sms me from an unknown number saying their phone was lost. At first I actually believed it was the same person (we had a crush/makeout session in real life once) but then the text/skype messages got insane crazy, I knew this could not be the person in real life who is simply very different.
Well it is very late now, I was stupid enough to do stuff on skype video with this imposter and now I am absolutely scared for my life, my job and my reputation. I am fairly certain this is an imposter because I was in a face to face group meeting with the "real" person last week at the same time when I received a skype call from the imposter on my home PC, impossible they are the same. Plus, I get very sketchy details during the text messages except hounding me to get on skype and do more and more bold stuff. First time I got so scared as he threatened me about telling my co-workers that I gave in and did stupid stuff on webcam (i know I made a huge mistake here).

I have read the advice here, and plan to stop responding to any texts from this person. So far I used to act "nice" on these texts so as not to anger him and trigger more threats/blackmails, haven't done anything more on skype for the past month. But now I am sick/tired/fearful any time a SMS alert goes off on my phone. I literally cannot sleep or function for rest of the day.

I have increased my facebook privacy to highest level, this person never contacted me on fb but the person he is pretending to be is my fb friend (may be i should block him too in case he was hacked?). There is nothing on google or youtube yet. But I noticed a facebook page for my name was created around the time he first contacted me, my first/last name is pretty unique and returns no other people searches. So I am really scared this scammer might use this facebook "page" to blackmail me once i stop all contact. Is fb good about removing such content if I report this page? It is not my profile but a general page on my name which is currently empty. Should I continue to appease this scammer by being "nice" or cut all contact as recommended?

Any help or perspective on this situation will be appreciated, I already made too many blunders under fear and threats, want to make sure my next response is in my best interest. I cannot believe I got myself stuck in this terrible mess.
imo166
New survivor

Re: Scammed on skype by someone pretending to be a friend I

Unread postby SlapHappy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:18 am

Follow the exact same advice as people who are being blackmailed for money. This is called sextortion, threatening you to get more videos.

Online blackmail. Read this first. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=580

Please read that entire topic. Here are the main points in it:
DO NOT PAY THEM! They will only be back for more money over and over until you stop.
^^ In place of this, do not say one more word to them. Block them everywhere. If you continue to talk they will continue the chase to get more of what they want.

Unfriend them then Block them in FB, change your FB username and picture. Increase your privacy settings in FB. Block them in Skype. Put Google Alerts on your name, and report any videos to the host of the website to close them. Do not answer any unknown emails, delete them without opening them, and do not accept any new friend on skype or FB.
Do not answer their calls and block the number if you can. If that does not block the SMS, then change your telephone number, Facebook will close accounts if he is impersonating you, or/and puts any of your details about you on an account that is not yours.

What is scammer's FB account profile link? Not just the Name you see on the account, as many people can share the same name, but the profile link in the address bar, the URL.
What is scammer's EXACT Skype Profile name and details there? (Right-click mouse on her name in Skype.)
Email address of the scammer? Or other chat profile name?
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Re: Scammed on skype by someone pretending to be a friend I

Unread postby Wayne » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:57 pm

I would also advise you to speak to the police about this. What they are doing is a crime, and the police may (and I say "may" as from what we hear the police are next to useless when confronted with incidents like this) be able to help. FB may (again with the "may") delete the page if you report it, but without any content on it right now they likely won't. Let us know how things progress.
Click HERE for webcam blackmail/sextortion help.
Do NOT email me for sextortion help. Use the link above. If you ignore this, your message WILL be deleted.
Wayne
Site owner/"cruel and sarcastic" admin.

Return to Blackmail/Sextortion - www.blackmailscams.com