Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Scammer has contacted me again after nearly 5 years

Scammers blackmailing people over webcam footage or photographs. Sometimes referred to as "sextortion". Your first port of call should be www.blackmailscams.com for the steps needed.

Scammer has contacted me again after nearly 5 years

Unread postby Scamreturned » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:08 am

Yesterday one of the lowest moments of my life, which I had thought passed long ago, came crashing back to me. I received an email from someone reminding me of a nude photo I had sent almost 5 years ago and the familiar threats to send it to friends, family and my school. My life has changed since being scammed, but the feelings of dread, shame and shock have all come back in a rush.

I made a post here when I was scammed, but couldn’t find it. Back then, I had been lulled into texting a nude picture of myself to a fake profile that contacted me first on Facebook. Over the course of some days, I panicked, wired money to my scammer and panicked some more as the threats didn’t stop. I eventually found this place and followed the steps, ignoring all messages and blocking and sure enough, the threats stopped and nobody ever saw the compromising photos.

Embarrassed and ashamed, I told no one except my Dad when the subject of my finances, having taken a big hit for me at the time from the scam, could not be ignored or reasonably explained other than by telling the truth. I quickly tried my best to move on and give it as little space in my mind as possible. Every now and then the memory would intrude, but it would soon pass and I would go on to live my life.

Receiving this email after 5 years has given this experience a nightmarish quality, especially considering the logical reassurance that scammers move on quickly. I’m staying calmer and smarter than last time (immediately deactivated FB, have replied to no emails, blocked email address and definitely not paid) but the questions remain buzzing in my head. When will they stop? Why is this happening again? Is this somebody I actually know harassing me behind a fake profile? Is it the same person or has my info been passed along? In another 5 years is the same thing going to happen again?

My experience tells me this will all pass without incident but emotionally I have a hard time reconciling all of this. My presence online now is larger than when it first happened- the faculty page for my school, YouTube videos of my performances on others channels (I’m a musician) a personal website. I’m in a pretty rough spot and just need a place to air my worries and see if this kind of case has ever happened to anyone else. I cant imagine telling any of this to anybody in real life. The shame is too much. Thank you to anybody who takes the time to read this. The idea that somebody may relate is at least comforting.
Scamreturned
New survivor

Re: Scammer has contacted me again after nearly 5 years

Unread postby SlapHappy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:12 pm

I seriously doubt that the scammer is the same one, or even has a nude that you sent to them. It sounds to me like it is part of the "Belarus Phishing Expedition" type of email scams. In this scam, they have used a hacked email account database and spammed the same message out to thousands of people at a time, hoping some will fall for the bullshit.

Look at these emails, and tell me if the format and language looks similar. If so, post the email here if you still have it, removing your personal details, and include the email account it was sent from.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=60846
and
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=73601
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Re: Scammer has contacted me again after nearly 5 years

Unread postby SlapHappy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:00 pm

If it happens that is is the same scammer, there are many reasons why he came back. I still doubt he has any pictures or videos after all this time.

If you reuse any old account, the scammer may find you.
Our steps have changed a lot in the last 6 years. A few things now recommended is to use all new email accounts, make a brand new facebook using a new email account, do not reuse any pictures on new facebook account. Do not reuse any online social account, i.e. Tinder, whatsapp, dating sites, etc. Get a new phone number and do not post it anywhere online unless absolutely necessary.
The waiting times for making new accounts has been extended as well. If you sent scammer more than 1000$, double the minimum time at least.
Read through our latest steps again, and follow them to the letter.
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Return to Blackmail/Sextortion - www.blackmailscams.com