Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

blackmail scam/sextortion I Survived

Scammers blackmailing people over webcam footage or photographs. Sometimes referred to as "sextortion". Your first port of call should be www.blackmailscams.com for the steps needed.

blackmail scam/sextortion I Survived

Unread postby timmy01 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:48 pm

So basically just wanted to share this with others who might be unsure about following the advice given on here. About 6 weeks ago I was fooling around on Chatroulette - yes a pretty face popped up and before long some 'cam fun' was suggested - I am not ashamed to admit this, it is common on the internet. It seemed quite convincing at the time, and I am still not sure if it was some recorded image (must have been I suppose) or a real person. Anyway I exposed myself and soon enough CR ended the session, the girl had requested my Facebook which I foolishly obliged.

We began to talk on the FB chat system, she said we can continue our 'fun' in a few minutes as soon as she was alone again. After about 5 minutes of waiting it all changed. I was sent a link to a video on Daily Motion, although it would not play as it said the upload was in progress, the image on the screen was of me, comprimised. Very nasty threats were made unless 300 Euro was paid very quickly via Western Union, also linked to me were screen shots of my friends and people listed as family. I was warned that this person was 'an expert hacker', 'not to run or I would pay', 'my life would be ruined' etc... After about 30 seconds of this I decided I was not going to pay anything, and then by instinct did EVERYTHING they advise you to do on this website. I blocked the person (the FB username was 'Sara Brey' - long since gone) reported the account to FB - along with the threating text even thought it was clear what I myself had been doing on webcam (who cares FB is not going to care I wanted them to see it was a serious criminal act) tightened up all the security options and reported the video as obscene to DM. The video was removed within 30 minutes and I kept checking it - as far as I could tell it was never uploaded properly - their username on DM was something long with lots of numbers - sorry I cannot remember it.

Needless to say I was VERY WORRIED. Although my FB is not linked to my actual family members the thought of so many people that know me personally seeing that video made me feel sick. I heard nothing for 24 hours but had one email from a friend on FB who had been contacted by 'Sara' asking me if I knew this person - and sending me a screen capture of the message 'she' has sent - it said 'do you know *** ********* I have something to tell you about him' luckily my friend suspected it was some kind of phishing scam and did not respond and blocked the account as I suggested. I recieved no other contact about the incident AT ALL.

I made a fake FB profile that I have since deleted to look at the FB of 'Sara Brey' - I noticed the scammer was adding people that were clearly fake (more accounts for their use I presume) along with other people who looked as though they may have been fooled in this way also. After 3-4 days this profile had been deleted from the FB system.

I have heard nothing at all about it since, thank goodness.

There are of course similair stories to this on this forum, I am saddened to here people have actually sent money. I cannot stress enough how important it is to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS the people who set up this site give you - they are experts. At the time I took a gamble on the fact I could outsmart this loser. Any 'expert hacker' would be have better things to do, and logic suggests that as soon as contact is TOTALLY cut off they will put their time and efforts inot extorting money elsewhere. I was also aware that if I sent money, that would NOT be the last of it...

I have had some hard stuff to deal with in my life, much more so then the eventuality of people seeing that video - however I was terrified at the time - and I can see how the scammers rely on this psychological attack to get the money, before reason can set in and you can think clearly - they get the hooks in and if you do not stop ALL communication they will continue to harass and bully you into paying up.

Of course I will never do anything like that on a web cam again - it is in hindsight very foolish. I have yet to read an account of someone who did actually have to deal with a similiar video being passed around their friends list, 'calling their bluff' may seem like too much of a risk, but from my experience it is the best thing you can do.

I hope this may help anyone who is worried about cutting all contact do it NOW. Much respect to the people who set up this site, I would be interested in baiting some of these people and helping to bring them to justice, it was all in all a horrid experience however finding this forum has offered me some place to tell all and provided some comfort that it is not only me who has fallen for such a scam.

all the best,

t01
timmy01
New survivor

Re: blackmail scam/sextortion I Survived

Unread postby SlapHappy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks for posting your story. It's a shame that you had FB close their profile down, and did not report their details sooner, as others could have been warned. Recent victims should never bait scammers. From our experience with those that have gone against our advice and did, bad things always followed. These guys are basically unbaitable anyway. They use all fake names, untraceable WU payments, untraceable phones, and sit in a different country from the victims.
Police in the other countries do not have the manpower, nor the ability to trace them down. The only justice they will receive is in the afterlife, of if karma bites them in the ass in this life. If they could be brought to justice, we would be doing it already. Our advice is to just move on with your life, and read our forum information to protect yourself from other scams. Plus, warn everyone you know and help educate others on scammers.
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Unread postby timmy01 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi - yeh I only came across this site lately weeks after the incident happened, and of course at the time I just wanted them shut down not really thinking there was anywhere I could go to post their information, just hope that someone may read my story and feel confident in cutting all contact and not sending a penny.

cheers

t01
timmy01
New survivor

Unread postby cfmdel » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks for posting your story Timmy. Hearing stories like this makes me feel much better about my recent encounter with a scammer. I am still nervous about the outcome, but the more stories like this I read the more at ease I feel.
cfmdel
New survivor

Unread postby SlapHappy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Thanks for posting your testimonial that our advice is sound and that people should follow the advice we give them here.
We have been doing this for a long time. I also hope that more people will have confidence after reading your story. And as I was typing this response, I see that it has! :)

cfmdel, timmy01's experience is typical when the advice is followed, and he did all the right things by himself, it seems.
So, if you have done the same, then I expect the same result. The scammer disappears very fast, like all the others.
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Unread postby timmy01 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Let me know how you get on Cfmdel, i will be happy to hear you say in a week or so that nothing has come of it - it stands to reason these scammers will have as many victims on the go as possible and will put their efforts into the ones that are going to pay up it is after all, all about money. I read your story - it is very scary but like the guys here say, they will move on when you become of no use to them and a 'dead lead' so to speak.

Try and relax - take some deep breaths and soon like it is for me, the experience will be a just a memory.

thanks again to all who run this site - it's a real ray of light against the lazy, obnoxious, cowardly and weak scammers.

best wishes

t01
timmy01
New survivor

Unread postby Devil_woman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:45 pm

SlapHappy told me about Chatroulette and I had a look! 95% of the guys were 'showing off' their assets, so you are certainly not alone! Guys please keep it in your pants!
Devil_woman
Supreme survivor

Return to Blackmail/Sextortion - www.blackmailscams.com