Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Online Scam - Please Help?

Scammers blackmailing people over webcam footage or photographs. Sometimes referred to as "sextortion". Your first port of call should be www.blackmailscams.com for the steps needed.

Online Scam - Please Help?

Unread postby scam_victim0183 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:35 am

So I am a victim of an online scam. I read through some of the posts but i feel like i have a very unique response from the scammer, so i was hoping to get some advice if possible!

I almost never ever show my face on cam unless it's with my friends, but for some reason i didn't listen to myself this time. Got onto skype, had a very brief session of around 3 mins. Scammer cut off and 6 hours later showed me a link to youtube with my file there. Title was just my name from fb (which is a very generic name) and 3 mins of the recording. Demanded money and gave me a deadline. I was completely freaked out and i negotiated to 100, and the scammer agreed to delete the video and the original file along with the links to my friends. Scammer also put the video in private when i agreed i'll go pay. So i did, and when i showed her the receipt (i blanked out all improtant info), the scammer deleted the video from youtube as promised (when i click on the link, it says the file has been removed by the user, and the channel now says there are 0 videos uploaded). then the scammer showed me his/her desktop on skype, and proceeded to show me that my video is put into the recycling bin and the text file. however the screen froze halfway, but i did see the video file put into recyling bin. scammer repeated promised that the files are completely deleted and can never be used again. and then scammer promised i will never be bothered again and scammer proceeded to block me on fb and skype.

so far, i can confirm none of my friends received anything (they seem normal when i talk to them), and the video is still shown as removed. i can't find myself anywhere else on the internet (especially when i have a generic name). do you guys think this is now officially over? Or will the scammer ask for more again? I just find it strange how the scammer blocked me proactively and actually showed me that the files are deleted and all. please help :( i really want to get over this and learn from my mistake
scam_victim0183
New survivor

Re: Online Scam - Please Help?

Unread postby NewLight » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:54 am

This is not the first time this has happened, I have seen this happen before where the scammer will delete video and everything in front of a victim. Though we have also seen many scammers come back and try to get more money out of the victim. I would still go throuhg with all of the steps to be safe. Deactivate the facebook for about 2 weeks, delete and block the scammer your self every where. Set up your google alerts and still follow all the steps in my signature just to be safe. Yes your experience appears to be unique but I would much rather be safe then sorry.
BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU HAVE BEEN SCAMMED

viewtopi ... =4&t=13271
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=580
http://www.scamsurvivors.com/bmform.htm
NewLight
Young Padawan

Unread postby NewLight » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:55 am

Also if the scammer does contact you again please do not pay them anymore money just stick to the steps and ignore the scammer.

viewtopi ... =4&t=13271
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=580
NewLight
Young Padawan

Unread postby scam_victim0183 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:58 am

Thank you so much for getting back. Do you think though given the fact that the scammer proactively blocked me, that this will likely be the end of it? Because there's no way the scammer can contact me. I did not give out phone #s or email :S
scam_victim0183
New survivor

Unread postby scam_victim0183 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:02 am

And btw, when should I consider myself to be safe (ex. after how many days of not hearing from anyone or not seeing my video online)?
scam_victim0183
New survivor

Unread postby NewLight » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:06 am

Honestly you will more then likely be safe regardless. Your case seems proactively positive but I would take the safety precautions just to be safer. After 2 weeks you can reactivate facebook and just change some minor details, how your name is your unique facebook username/url and lastly we suggest the change of a profile photo. Things should be fine

viewtopi ... =4&t=13271
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=580
NewLight
Young Padawan

Unread postby scam_victim0183 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:29 am

thank you so much! i'll see how things go for the next few days
scam_victim0183
New survivor