Site logo

Advert.
Switch to full style
Scammers blackmailing people over webcam footage or photographs. Sometimes referred to as "sextortion". Your first port of call should be www.blackmailscams.com for the steps needed.
Post a reply

Facebook activation?

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:40 pm

I was scammed this saturday, followedthe FAQ PDF file on the site, changed my email etc.

RIght now I need my face book account for contacts with my fellow students, because of an project. I know that the FAQ pdf thing says I should deactivate my face book account for two weeks and it has only been 3 days. What are your thoughts, when I say that I wants to activate it again today?

I havent heard from the scammer since he tried to blackmail me, I changed my mail and I will change my FB name and picture. I made my google alerts and I do daily search google with the "XXXXX" to ensure, that no video of me is posted elsewhere on the worldwideweb.

Have any of you been scammed and activated your facebook account a couple of days after, or is this a bad idea?

Regards
Slabet

Re: face book activation?

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:44 pm

I'd say it's a bad idea. I'd leave it deactivated for a week minimum, and then that would only be at a push. 2 weeks is much better. The longer you leave it, the more time the scammer has to move on.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:06 pm

Okay, thx for the fast reply. Do u think that he maybe still is looking for me on facebook, so he can complete the blackmailing?

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:13 pm

That's possible since it's only been a few days. Maybe a possible alternative would be to unlock your FB, Get a list of your Contacts, Deactivate FB, & build an alternate profile that doesn't use your real life name or info.

However, I would still side with Wayne and keep it closed rather than take the chance that they are sitting in FB waiting for you to login. It could get ugly in a real hurry.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Okay, I will just keep it shut for two weeks then, nothing else to do. Thx for the fast replies all.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:57 pm

^^^ I think you've made the wisest choice.

Take Care,
BA

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:39 pm

Same with me, even if I've changed the URL, all my privacy settings etc?

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:24 pm

Always the safest option to deactivate the account for 2 weeks so they can't find you and move on.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:18 pm

I just read the tweet from wayne in which he mentioned it might be necessary to delete rather than deactivate the profile...
Can you explain please?

In my personal case I never gave my fb-profile or my last name away to the scammer and hope it wasn't found by searching for my first name and my hometown, but I deactivated it anyway just to be safe.

Cheers!

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:46 am

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13271 shows the story. It's not the first time they've "loosened" the security either, so we're looking to take that extra step and advise people to actually close their FB profile rather than just deactivate it for 2 weeks as we do now.
Post a reply