Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Any ideas on this (Contact Info and Further Sear)?

Scammers blackmailing people over webcam footage or photographs. Sometimes referred to as "sextortion". Your first port of call should be www.blackmailscams.com for the steps needed.

Any ideas on this (Contact Info and Further Sear)?

Unread postby weareintrouble » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:20 pm

Hi all,

Have posted details of scammer etc. already, to be honest I am being careful posting information on here that relate to the specific case because if the scammer's had half a brain they would surely read these forums!

Anyhow, usual scenario - through random chat, FB messenger (but didn't add them and have highest privacy settings) and then Skype (added them on Skype so they have my real name but not email).

Happened quickly and didn't have a chance to read this site - paid a massively reduced fee through WU and the links are no longer there (they used daily motion) after explaining I just didn't have the money (less than $200, they wanted $700 - still been conned though lol).
OK so have:

Changed my FB name, blocked them and temporarily deactivated account
Got rid of other direct public links on other social networking sites
Blocked them on Skype
Set up google alerts

Stop panicking - no point

They do have my mobile number (I can just not answer blocked numbers though and switch off voice mail next few weeks)

OK - so when they originally messaged about having the video they listed under 10 contacts (just names); Some weren't actually even on my FB list and friends of friends so clearly they haven't hacked me (changed password straight away).
*Does anyone know how they search and get those contacts? I am assuming if they had all your contacts they would list them.
(I think it could be from tagged posts etc. on other peoples profile that have lower privacy settings) - also I am assuming that they do not have those peoples emails either (but I guess could just send a link through FB messenger).

Additionally I am expecting them to chase me (people have said here if you pay once they will come back for more, I will ignore all calls etc.
Does anyone know if they would try and get more information about you through google searching? A lot of people have bits and pieces floating around that might help the scammer's - Does anyone have experience in them going beyond the information they have and seeking more?

Thanks for your help and good luck to everyone - really is the worst feeling ever, the scammer told me that would be it but not exactly the most trustworthy people!
weareintrouble
New survivor

Re: Any ideas on this (Contact Info and Further Sear)?

Unread postby Wayne » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:03 am

*Does anyone know how they search and get those contacts? I am assuming if they had all your contacts they would list them.

Image search, same username on Skype and FB, Searching your name, it's not exactly difficult to find an account with a little information.

Does anyone have experience in them going beyond the information they have and seeking more?

These are hit and run scammers. Minimum effort, get through as many people as they can and hope a percentage pay. It's easier for them to pick up a few new people than spend time hunting one who won't pay.
Click HERE for webcam blackmail/sextortion help.
Do NOT email me for sextortion help. Use the link above. If you ignore this, your message WILL be deleted.
Wayne
Site owner/"cruel and sarcastic" admin.

Unread postby weareintrouble » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:20 am

Thanks Wayne - appreciate your reply and also all the information on the website. Amazingly helpful :)

Just one more question - how many cases have there been (that you know of / have heard of) where the video is actually sent? Have not seen anyone say it has happened on this board on reading a few of the threads.

Finally I thought if might be useful to point out here that the guy was claiming to 'be a professional' and in my / your panicked state it would be easier to believe.
However on closer inspection (and on reading a number of cases here) they are generally not hackers and can only get information that's in the public domain (unless you have added them on a social networking site). When I probed on how he had got certain names he acted like he was a hacker / professional and it was easy to believe at the time. Food for thought; good luck everyone :)
weareintrouble
New survivor

Unread postby SlapHappy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:09 am

Just one more question - how many cases have there been (that you know of / have heard of) where the video is actually sent?
Read enough posts, and you will see the answer posted hundreds of times..
Short answer: about 5. NONE of these five had a link sent to their entire FB list. This is for the thousand(s)? plus that have posted here. In three of the cases, I believe, the survivors did NOT follow all the advice in the main topic "Read me first," and either kept talking to the scammer, or did not completely block them as we advised. The other two were special cases, very very atypical of the usual blackmail scam/sextortion.
Please take note: Every one of the 5 is fine now. It just took a bit of time longer for the scammer to give up.

Your next step: Recovery. Read the topic, and listen to podcast 11. This should give you a good start.

Closure. When will this all end? NEW! Coping Strategies!
http://www.scamsurvivors.com/forum/view ... f=3&t=4509

Podcast #11 Interview with a ScamSurvivors Blackmail Survivor.

Podcast Topic in forum:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1370&start=30#p26487
or go to
Podcast page:
http://scamsurvivors.com/podcasts Scroll down to number 11.
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Return to Blackmail/Sextortion - www.blackmailscams.com