Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Spoofing an email address. How to spot it.

Benefit from our years of experience with scammers.

Spoofing an email address. How to spot it.

Unread postby Wayne » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:06 am

I had an email from Hillary Clinton. Seriously. Look, it says right there. You can click on it to get a larger view:

When I add her to my contacts, it clearly states it's her and you can see that official looking email address. info@us.gov HAS to be real, right?

Well, probably not. Let's look a little deeper. What you need to find are the email headers. Headers are a hidden section in an email that show you where it came from, what route it took and what email address it was really sent from. They're found in a different way, depending who your email provider is. In this case, it's my Yahoo account. To get them, I have to click on the little downward pointing arrow next to the icon that looks like a cog. That opens up another menu. On that one, I click "View Full Header":

Scrolling down, I see a "From:" email address and a "Reply-To:" email address. Have a look at the reply to one. That shows geithner.treasury.gov@gmail.com and not the info@us.gov one we originally saw:

So the scammer faked the info@us.gov one, and the real email address is the much less official geithner.treasury.gov@gmail.com which is obviously nothing at all to do with the US Government. Now, obviously finding the headers will be different if you're using another email provider, but the basic principle is the same.
Click HERE for webcam blackmail/sextortion help.
Do NOT email me for sextortion help. Use the link above. If you ignore this, your message WILL be deleted.
Wayne
Site owner/"cruel and sarcastic" admin.

Return to Help and advice.