Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

We didn’t meet online, but he scammed me face to face.

Ask here if you're unsure whether or not you're dealing with a scammer, and we can help. This section is hidden from search engines.

We didn’t meet online, but he scammed me face to face.

Unread postby username022 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:51 am

I met a man at a birthday party that his son and my daughter (both 12 years) attended. Our children became boyfriend and girlfriend and we would occasionally chaperone a “play date” for them to get ice cream or lunch. Anyway, it turned out that we had a lot in common; we shared similar values, loved to read, loved cats, enjoyed similar music and movies. We got along very well. Anyways, I work nights and I was up at like 12 or 1 am one morning when I got a text from him asking if I was awake. I was because I was working and I asked how I could help him..he said he “had a really shitty question to ask me”. I asked if he needed a kidney and he told me that he needed to borrow $110 bc he was stuck out off the interstate somewhere with no gas and an overdrawn bank acct. He assured me that he got paid the next day and would return it then. I had the money and I felt bad and I let him borrow it. Anyways, we stayed up all night talking and he was very flattering to me. The next day came, again we were talking spending a lot of time on the phone, but he never returned the money. Finally, I asked if he was going to do it, and he said that he already had. I asked him to check bc I didn’t receive. He looked and said he’d apparently Sent it to his friend through Venmo. We spent the rest of the week with him telling me he was getting the money and was going right to the bank and then him “falling asleep” or coming up with another excuse of why he hadn’t done what he said he’d do. In the meantime, me with my low self-esteem was letting him tell me how smart and funny and pretty I was. He finally put the money in my account with an extra 30$. He maintained talking to me and asked to take me out to a really nice restaurant that Friday. I said yes and was so excited. On Wednesday or Thursday, he asked me to borrow more money. I got very upset and quiet. It was via text so he had no idea. After I didn’t respond for about 20 minutes, he started blowing up my phone and texting me how he knew he shouldn’t have done that and please forgive him, he didn’t want to mess up this thing we had. Going on because I was like one in a million girl and he felt so so bad. After I read that text, it disarmed me and I told him that I would send him the extra 30$ back that he sent to me plus 20$ so he’d have $50 bucks and just not worry about paying me back.
Friday came, and we had been talking and texting all day for the past few weeks, he called about an hour before he was supposed to start heading out to pick me up for dinner at the fancy restaurant and told me that he had to cancel because he showed signs of COVID and was under quarantine.
I didn’t have a good feeling about this, but I kept telling myself that I was just being dramatic. Plus, I knew he was coming bc he had put money in my cash app because I decided to pick up our takeout so we could eat at my house and watch a movie.
I really wanted to believe he was sincere and I know him. He is my daughters boyfriends dad?
Over the next few weeks we continued to talk, but I noticed that a lot of what he was saying didn’t make a lot of sense and his stories weren’t adding up. He claimed he got a huge business grant from the government to start a mushroom farm (?) and then asked me to go through my bills and tell him any of them that were causing me stress and he would pay them for me. To me, that was the most ridiculous thing I’d ever heard, and everytime he brought it up, I would just ignore it. I pay my own bills. He planned another night to take me out on the town, all the while he’d very much convinced me that we had the same sense of humor and same interests (and he must’ve done research because he knew a lot of info about some of the things we shared interest in). He was late picking me up for dinner and then took off right after. I felt this was odd because he had been telling me all week how excited he was to finally see me without our kids. While we were eating dinner, I realized that he must’ve forgotten that he’d told me certain things about his life and job and past, because he gave a completely different story for many things about who he was.
The next day, he called and told me that his fathers car broke down (he lives with parents to “help them out”) and he drives dads car. He asked to borrow money. I asked what happened to that huge business grant from a week ago? He said oh, no that’s all tied up in business. I still had the $100 that he’d transferred to me to pay for our cancelled dinner date. I transferred that to him.
The next day, I ignored his calls because I was pissed. I knew he was lying, but I wasn’t sure exactly how much and why? I finally answered his phone call and told him I wasn’t “feeling this” anymore. He said, ok. And I haven’t heard from him since. This is someone who texted me at least 100 times a day telling me how gorgeous and funny I am and how he didn’t want to “mess this up”. So I took the bait, hook, line, and sinker. He was so super convincing, it was incredible. My two closest girlfriends had real gut feelings about him being shady, but I really believed him bc I couldn’t imagine somebody doing that face-to-face with someone that you will definitely see over and over again. And I wanted to believe him, I guess. But hindsight is definitely 20/20 because from our very first interaction, I can see his motives, and he wasn’t at all interested in me. Def feel a lot of shame and embarrassment. Also, would like to be able to warn other women about him.
username022
New survivor

Re: We didn’t meet online, but he scammed me face to face.

Unread postby SlapHappy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:58 am

I’m sorry, but we only deal with online scams here. You may not post any details.

Please read the informational topics in the romance section, as some things real life scammers and online scammers do are very similar, especially the constant asking for money, for "emergencies." If you keep giving it, they will stick around and take more.
The sole purpose of the scam is to empty your bank balance. The simple rule is, if anyone you've only ever met online asks you for money for any reason, DON'T PAY THEM. This goes for new people you have just met as well. Don't feel sorry for them. Don't worry yourself thinking "what if they're genuine?". If they ask for money, walk away.
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Unread postby username022 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:02 pm

Ok, no problem. I will ever happy to delete my post if you tell me how to do it. I didn’t realize that it was only for internet scams. Unfortunately, I have only found information about online scammers/dating scammers and haven’t located any resources where I would be able to put this man on someone else’s radar. Looking back over the time I spent with him, I now see that he was running scams on several people at once.
username022
New survivor

Unread postby SlapHappy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:05 pm

People that take advantage of others usually do have other victims. Usually it's everyone they meet. They are called sociopaths.

I have changed your username, so you can stay anonymous. This section is hidden from searches, but members can see your posts.
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Return to Am I being scammed/Is this a scammer?