Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Potential scam, but what's the play?

Ask here if you're unsure whether or not you're dealing with a scammer, and we can help. This section is hidden from search engines.

Potential scam, but what's the play?

Unread postby shadowman » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:57 pm

Hi!

I am really curious to see if anyone has come across something like this... A potential romance scam. I'm quite active on dating sites, but the ones I've met I can count on my fingers and I have come across a few profiles that don't have whatsapp or social media and want to chat on skype etc. Never gone that far, I usually block as soon as that happens and move on.

I moved to Malaysia, where I noticed quite a lot of sex sites advertised on tinder, some profiles that are obviously some for of scam or catfish and plenty of sugar mommy services. I've found a girl, who would possibly fit this profile, but we moved to whatsapp fairly quickly because the conversation took a turn where she suggested I join her for the weekend on an Island. She's going and she said she's looking for someone to join her. This came up as I asked her which island she'd take me first, based on her profile where she listed islands as something she likes, so I don't think she was setting out to lure me to the island... Or she'd be incredibly lucky!!

Anyway, she video called me. She is the same person as the photos.

I can't for the life of me figure out what she could be setting out to do, other than kidnap me or rob me. I've asked her straight up if she is, obviously she said no, but it was quite playful at the time. She also denied she is a transgender, which is probably my biggest hunch. This wouldn't bother me, I wouldn't be interested in her at this point, but at least I'd be safe and happy to know her if this is the case.

We've spoken at length over the last couple of days. She seems reserved, hasn't given much away. Her social medias are active but also quite strange, with lack of pics of friends. I repeat, it's 100% her in the photos, but she's either very inactive, which is okay, or she's hiding something. She has 2 instagram accounts, one she gave me and I later found another. Both similar in terms of activity.

The other is open and I found that myself.
She also has twitter , but inactive.

Anyway, back to the trip. She has said she's going anyway, so no danger of her making me pay for her trip. She's already booked the ferry and beach chalet and I've suggested I'll book a separate place. She's okay with that too, but she did say I could stay with her. I just said, she doesn't know me well enough and better to get my own place.

The big red flag is, she's said she wouldn't want to meet if I don't go this weekend, stating that she's been let down by men in the past etc ... this I find very strange. I'm happy to take it or leave it, if she doesn't want to see me, no problem, but I am so CURIOUS as to what she could be playing at.... And of course, I'm not willing to risk my life just to find out. Plus it's a 10 hour journey! If it was closer I'd probably get a friend to join me and scout her out on the ferry to the island, with a disguise or something!

Anyway, really interested to see if you've got any idea what might be. If she hadn't video called me, I wouldn't have continued talking to her, thinking she was fake, but as she's real, I want to give her as much benefit of the doubt as possible. Maybe she is just a reserved muslim (though not devout) who likes to travel and does really want to meet someone.

However, when things are too good to be true, they usually are... so yes, for now I've given up on the girl, but I want to get to the bottom of the scam!!

Thanks in advance!
shadowman
New survivor

Re: Potential scam, but what's the play?

Unread postby SlapHappy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:24 pm

It's probably a romance scammer or a blackmail scammer. Do not do any nude videos with "her."
If she is from Philippines, it's probably a blackmail scam/sextortion.

we moved to whatsapp fairly quickly because the conversation took a turn where she suggested I join her for the weekend on an Island.
Bad sign. You should never move offsite to discuss anything.

Anyway, she video called me. She is the same person as the photos.
Videos can be faked.

Her social medias are active but also quite strange, with lack of pics of friends.
Another red flag.

she's said she wouldn't want to meet if I don't go this weekend,
Pressuring you. Do not go as she will have a "problem" that can only be solved with "Your money."

Move on.
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Unread postby shadowman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:07 am

Hello.

Thanks for the reply.

There were so many red flags.

But I went.

The weekend was perfect. Really perfect, and if I don't marry this girl, then I'll be damned!

Funnily enough, after the weekend was up, we got back to mainland and her car had been stolen/towed...

And I thought this is it. This is the scam. But I didn't go with more cash than I needed.

Anyway, turns out she just forgot where she'd parked. Made me laugh and think of this reply.

Thank you and lesson learnt. If it's too good to be true, maybe, just maybe, you should go for it!

If someone would be able to edit the first post and remove the links to her social, that would be great.
shadowman
New survivor

Unread postby SlapHappy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:25 am

Well, maybe I'm wrong, or maybe the "play" hasn't happened yet, but keep your head on your shoulders, and remember...
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Return to Am I being scammed/Is this a scammer?