Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

start of scam - what do i do?

Ask here if you're unsure whether or not you're dealing with a scammer, and we can help. This section is hidden from search engines.

start of scam - what do i do?

Unread postby gendel » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:12 pm

hi, my husband received one of those emails from nigeria and he responded a few times asking for info. i told him to ignore it because it was a scam, but he was intrigued at the promise of money. anyhow...yesterday he sent the man his full legal name, date of birth, marital status, job title, address and phone number. at this point he finally understands that he made a mistake and will not respond again (he set a filter on his email to delete anything from that address.)

my question is - no bank account info or other financial info was shared. he did not share social security number. he did not share any social media info or make any connections on social media. how concerned do we need to be at this point, and what steps to we need to take? do we need to lock/freeze his credit report or social security info? do i need to do anything for myself as well? he did not share any of my info, just that he is married and has children.

any input? thank you!
gendel
New survivor

Re: start of scam - what do i do?

Unread postby Big Al » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:22 pm

I don't see a lot of danger from what he's sent so far but he might have his credit frozen in case the scammer has somehow gotten enough of his information to steal his identity.

He didn't send a copy of his Passport or Drivers license correct?

You both might read the article here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26504

What to do if you are a victim of a scam.
"Look for the lies."
Being Blackmailed? Go here and do this first: https://blackmailscams.com/
The information you supply can help others from becoming Victims.
Big Al
"Little pee nut" admin.

Unread postby gendel » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:51 pm

thanks. no, he didn't send a copy of license or passport. will look at that link.
gendel
New survivor

Unread postby firefly » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:55 am

gendel,

Can you try, please, to post the emails he received? Be sure you remove any of his personal details before posting.

Other people may receive the exact emails and some of them can be warned if those messages are posted online.
Help yourself by helping others - report your scammer here.
Google can be your best friend;use it if you have doubts about someone met online. If someone met online only asks for money, no matter what reason, it´s 100% scam.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26504
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Return to Am I being scammed/Is this a scammer?