Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Is this a scammer? Any steps?

Ask here if you're unsure whether or not you're dealing with a scammer, and we can help. This section is hidden from search engines.

Is this a scammer? Any steps?

Unread postby nebelwerferbattery » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:35 am

I received an email from an unknown email id - tesugikoifun@gmail.com, and the content is "Good day, <my first name>, where are you?".

I have not replied. In fact, I immediately deleted the email, although I did read it. It had no attachments, nor any URLs.

My email is basically of the form <first name>65<last name>@gmail.com - so it is possible the scammer guessed my name. However, I was thinking if this is more sinister than a phishing attempt? Is there any step I should take?
nebelwerferbattery
Junior survivor

Re: Is this a scammer? Any steps?

Unread postby Big Al » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:48 am

It is hard to say.
Can you post the entire e-mail here?
Just do not send money to anyone you have never met in person.
"Look for the lies."
Being Blackmailed? Go here and do this first: https://blackmailscams.com/
The information you supply can help others from becoming Victims.
Big Al
"Little pee nut" admin.

Unread postby firefly » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:01 am

Check your email address online to see if you are not on some pawned lists.

That type of message sounds like a typical check done to see if the email address is still in use. Even without replying to that message someone may know you opened that message.

If exposed online in areas you don't want to be associated with, you might want to change your email address as a safety measure.
Help yourself by helping others - report your scammer here.
Google can be your best friend;use it if you have doubts about someone met online. If someone met online only asks for money, no matter what reason, it´s 100% scam.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26504
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Unread postby nebelwerferbattery » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:02 am

Big Al wrote:It is hard to say.
Can you post the entire e-mail here?
Just do not send money to anyone you have never met in person.

Sure, No sending money whatsoever.

The stuff I put in quotes, that's the entire email. There's nothing else - which is why I'm slightly concerned. It does not seem like a generic phishing email.
nebelwerferbattery
Junior survivor

Unread postby nebelwerferbattery » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:06 am

firefly wrote:Check your email address online to see if you are not on some pawned lists.

That type of message sounds like a typical check done to see if the email address is still in use. Even without replying to that message someone may know you opened that message.

If exposed online in areas you don't want to be associated with, you might want to change your email address as a safety measure.

Thanks, I did check a couple of 'are you pwned sited' and this particular email does not show up as having been exposed. Nevertheless, I will start working on changing emails. But that'll take a while, since this email is used for so many things. Now I'm worried.
nebelwerferbattery
Junior survivor

Return to Am I being scammed/Is this a scammer?