Site logo

Advert.
Switch to full style
Ask here if you're unsure whether or not you're dealing with a scammer, and we can help. This section is hidden from search engines.
Post a reply

Question about social media scams

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Hello, I am seeking advice regarding reactivating social media and in particular, Facebook. About 5 and half years ago, I was contacted by a scammer who had a webcam recorded video of me. With the help of people from this website, I was able to get through everything. However, my case was a little bit different from the typical cases (according to the mods). When I refused to pay and deactivated my facebook account, the scammer created a fake profile of me and started requesting my friends and family and posted the video. Eventually, with help from this site and trusted friends, I was able to get that account removed. Some months later, I reactivated my facebook, but within a month or so was contacted again by the scammer via another fake profile of myself. The video was posted on the fake account, but I was able to get the account removed. I then deactivated my facebook again and have not used facebook since and have not been contacted by the scammer in anyway as well.

My main question is regarding starting a new facebook. I am in the process of a career change and part of my success in this new career will be having a facebook page with my name associated with it. I was just curious what is the likelihood that I could be contacted by the scammer again. I know in typical cases the scammer will have deleted the video and moved on, but this guy seemed different. I am still shaken and very apprehensive even years later and I just want to be sure I am safe before I make the decision to get back on facebook. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Question about social media scams

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Make a new Facebook using a brand new email account and move on with your life.
Post a reply