Site logo

Advert.
Switch to full style
Ask here if you're unsure whether or not you're dealing with a scammer, and we can help. This section is hidden from search engines.
Post a reply

Not sure what this scammers end game is?

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:40 pm

Hi,

I was in contact with a guy about 3 months back for about a month on and off. A ‘wrong number’ text. We talked and he just wanted to text and talk for fun. I never sent him photos, or videos. All via phone, no computers/web cam or anything. Anyway, he kept constantly on at me for photos and stuff and I said I’m no longer interested and blocked the number. Warning flags which I was stupid enough to ignore - changed his number once in that short space of time and two, the WhatsApp photo changed 3 times which looked fairly different each time. The only info he has off me is a shorted version of my first name, city I live, my number and a WhatsApp profile pic I imagine. He knows nothing else about me. I googled his number not long after blocking and found out several people had the wrong number text and he admitted it was a pay per text scam, one saying he was a Nigerian scammer. 3 months later he’s text me again on another number, I said I know you’re a scammer so don’t bother talking to me again, tried to deny it it and I blocked him.

He says his name is Darren Taylor and lives in Leicester but is Irish (thoughts he’s admitted to others he’s a Nigerian?) Says he’s a marine, recovering from an injury. The message he sends is a 30th happy birthday text to his pal Peter who he used to serve with.

So, do I have anything to be concerned about? Why would he again contact me after 3 months? Not sure what his end game is? Photos or videos? Does he think I’ll just start back up again?

Re: Not sure what this scammers end game is?

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:51 pm

Once a scammer manages to establish a contact with someone he sees as a potential victim, he will always return.

Hard to say what his game is - by the short elements you provided it might be romance.

Consider everything used with a scammer compromised and not safe for any future use - email address, phone number, social profile.

Better change all of those ones to avoid being contacted / targeted again.

If you have any identifiable elements about this one, please add it to this post. It might save someone else.

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:00 pm

I’ve put everything to private since I last spoke with him a few months ago but have deactivated what I can.

Latest number he’s using is: 07399 478669

He’s never asked for money, only dirty photos etc which I never sent him. I imagine if I had there’s a good chance they could be used against me? Who knows, I hope that’s the last I hear off him!

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:08 pm

+447399478669 is a mobile number.

If he was trying to blackmail you, asking for pictures would be a first step to confirm you trust him. Same if it was trying to romance you.

For the first type of scam, a fraudster doesn't need to spend much time with a victim.

In the second case, receiving your pictures will convince him that you are real and reckless enough to take risks with people you met online. From this step ahead, anything is possible.

Glad you didn't fall for this one. Be sure you block that number and be aware that as long as you keep the actual phone number you are using he may return anytime using a different phone number.

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:24 pm

Well, I feel stupid enough for going along with it when all the warning signs were clearly there.

He’s definitely blocked and should I receive any further messages from other numbers I won’t bother to reply at all and just block. I imagine I shall have to change numbers if his tactic is to try again.

Lesson learnt for me and I hope warns others about this guy.

Thanks for your replies.
Post a reply