Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

My mother could be contacting a love scam artist

Ask here if you're unsure whether or not you're dealing with a scammer, and we can help. This section is hidden from search engines.

My mother could be contacting a love scam artist

Unread postby Aykk » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:27 pm

His name is Michael Vegard Berg who claims to be living in Ocala, Florida. He was introduced to my mother by my sister who met him in LinkedIn. My sister was thinking that he might be a good social companion for my mother. Both my mother and him started contacting since then in the beginning of 2017.

They contacted each other frequently through text messages and eventually moved to Viber. Sometimes, both of them will share their financial issues but my mother would still transfer him some cash on several occasions, with the thought that it might help him to fly over to Singapore to meet her. Within 2017, at least SGD$2000 was transferred to him from my mother.

Knowing the situation, both my sister and I started to persuade her to stop the relationship. But a typical response from someone who is unaware of the situation is to insist that he is not a scammer. On several occasions, I will try to get her phone to block communication between both of them by uninstalling Viber and setting internet controls. But she would still be able to seek help from other people to recover it.

Till date, she is still insistent that he is not a scammer and is deeply in love with him. I tried to persuade her to seek counselling but she insist that there is nothing wrong with her. Police have arrived at our house on several occasions as she will call the police whenever I take her phone away from her. Currently, she would like me to leave the house and I am clueless on what can be done at this moment as I have resorted to both soft approach (convincing her and keeping quiet for several months) and hard approach (by blocking her contact).

Would be grateful to anyone who is able to guide me in this situation.

Thank you.
Aykk
New survivor

Re: My mother could be contacting a love scam artist

Unread postby SlapHappy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Playing the "man-in-middle" between a scammer and the victim, and trying to convince the victim that he is one after months of grooming and constant attention brainwashing is not easy. By now he has instructed her to ignore everyone who tells her he is not "4real" and told her that "they are just trying to ruin our relationship." He has probably told her he will "pay her back," as soon as all the many "disasters with his overseas business is over," among all the other lies he has told. It is much easier to convince a victim that comes here directly, than a relative for friend.

The first step in the process is getting as many scammer details as you can from her that we can check and prove to her that he is a scammer. We need his email addresses used, websites of his he mentioned, his profile links online (linkedin, Facebook, viber, etc.,) sample emails from him especially the first few where he tells his "story," and any emails where he asks for money. We need any pictures he sent to her, documents, IDs, other attachments in emails. The scammer's phone number(s) used.

Once we get that posted here, we can start the checks and hopefully have enough information to convince her, if she will even seriously look at it, which is sometimes the most difficult part.
Anytime anyone asks for money online for any reason whatsoever, they are ALWAYS a scammer, 100%. Real people never ask for money online, only scammers do.

Please try and get as much of the information I asked for above and post it here, and we will go from there.
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Unread postby Aykk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Here is his facebook account: https://www.facebook.com/michael.vegardberg
These are numbers he used in Viber: +17572169358 and +17083407302
I heard from my sister that he either disabled or deleted his LinkedIn account.

Hope these helps and thank you!
Aykk
New survivor

Unread postby Big Al » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:48 pm

Profile Elements:
Michael Vegard Berg / michael.vegardberg
Lives in Ocala, Florida

Michael.PNG
Michael.PNG (225.19 KiB) Viewed 4257 times

I find no matches for the stolen image.

A Google image search for "Michael Vegard Berg" brings back a first result of this image:

Michael2.PNG
Michael2.PNG (89.99 KiB) Viewed 4257 times

The name has been used in scams since 2009.

Sorry I couldn't find more.

Phones:
+17572169358
Number billable as geographic number
Country or destination United States
City or exchange location Norfolk, VA
Original network provider* Teleport Communications America, Llc - Dc

+17083407302
Number billable as geographic number
Country or destination United States
City or exchange location La Grange, IL
Original network provider* Level 3 Communications, Llc - Il
"Look for the lies."
Being Blackmailed? Go here and do this first: https://blackmailscams.com/
The information you supply can help others from becoming Victims.
Big Al
"Little pee nut" admin.

Return to Am I being scammed/Is this a scammer?