Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Too good to be true

Ask here if you're unsure whether or not you're dealing with a scammer, and we can help. This section is hidden from search engines.

Too good to be true

Unread postby Christoph » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi,

Yesterday, through Lovoo, I came in contact with a girl from Paris (I'm currently staying in France) claiming to be interested in me. After a brief chat yesterday, we spent most of today's afternoon happily chatting away.
The longer the converstation lasted, the more suspicious I became.
As until now, she has not asked for any money, nor am I being extorted or blackmailed in any way. We did not exchange emails, I did however add her to my facebook and she has my mobile phone number (I also have hers).

Some of the warning signs:

- After a brief chat on Lovoo, she requested to hook up on facebook or skype to "get to know each other better".
- An hour or two after we started chatting, she claimed to fall for me and expressing unconditional love for me. This seems a bit fast, so I pointed this out to her. She defended herself by stating that while she is a patient, cautios woman, when it comes the love she can be very impulsive. I know impulsive, that's in fact pretty much me, but even this I would not do.
- She demanded that I'd close my Lovoo account to proove to her I was being serious. I did this, but in fact this triggered my suspicion.
- On her profile, it sais her age was 32, which seems correct, as her birthday is put on the 1st of November. She also confirmed this yesterday. In today's chat however she stated she was 31.
- Her French varied between going from very bad to exceptionally well. In some sentences she made basic grammatical errors, while when expressing her "love", suddenly very complex sentences and words were being used. This struck me as odd.
- Her facebook profile only shows me as a friend (which is possible, as using "fake" facebook accounts is common practice when using internet dating programs), Still, another warning sign.
- She asked A LOT of questions, and I noticed that towards the end of our chat after several hours, she was replying exactly what I wanted to hear.
- At a certain stage she asked my mobile phone number and requested that I sent her a text to "confirm my phone number". I did that, but still an odd thing to do when talking to someone you've just met in chat.
- Last but not least, being my usual self, I did point out (as a joke) that I would do anything except send her money. Her reaction to this is best described as odd.

While I may have been too trustworthy and added her on FB and gave her my mobile number, nothing bad has hapened yet.
After my suspicions reached a critical point I decided to google a bit and ended up on this site.

I'm quite sure the person in question is a fraud.

What do you think?

Thanks and kind regards,

Christoph
Christoph
New survivor

Re: Too good to be true

Unread postby firefly » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:27 pm

At this stage, are not enough elements to be 100% sure... but are enough bad signs above those ones you mentioned:

- that profile was registered on Facebook yesterday

- the phone number used is a mobile - might be using a prepaid card or could be an VOIP number.

Our advise is to drop her - remove the profile from your friend list and block it. Block the phone number also. Better safe than sorry...
Help yourself by helping others - report your scammer here.
Google can be your best friend;use it if you have doubts about someone met online. If someone met online only asks for money, no matter what reason, it´s 100% scam.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26504
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Unread postby SlapHappy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:36 pm

An hour or two after we started chatting, she claimed to fall for me and expressing unconditional love for me.
[Real people do not do this.]

She demanded that I'd close my Lovoo account to proove to her I was being serious
[So other scammers on the site do not steal you from him, "She" is really a man!]

In today's chat however she stated she was 31.
[Inconsistent personal details.]

Her French varied between going from very bad to exceptionally well.
[Using copy/pasted script actually written in good French, and their own online translated French.]

Her f/b profile only shows me as a friend
[Warning sign]

She asked A LOT of questions,
[Romance scammers will feel out victims to find out how best to exploit and control them.]

she was replying exactly what I wanted to hear.
[Building trust and creating the "fantasy" that does not exist, nor that they have to fulfill.]

requested that I sent her a text to "confirm my phone number"
[To make sure you were not an "internet joker" trying to waste their time, and are a real victim.]

I did point out (as a joke) that I would do anything except send her money. Her reaction to this is best described as odd.

[You surprised them, and they had no pre-written script on how to answer that one.]

All of these are typical signs of an african romance scammer.
As firefly says, block them and drop them cold.
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Unread postby Christoph » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:11 pm

Ok thanks forthe feedback guys.

Removed and blocked "her" from FB and mobile phone.
Christoph
New survivor

Unread postby firefly » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:13 pm

Good option.
Help yourself by helping others - report your scammer here.
Google can be your best friend;use it if you have doubts about someone met online. If someone met online only asks for money, no matter what reason, it´s 100% scam.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26504
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Return to Am I being scammed/Is this a scammer?