Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

I was scammed

This section deals specifically with online romance scams. The images used by the scammers are stolen from innocent people, usually from their social media pages.

I was scammed

Unread postby Sophie123 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:11 pm

I was scammed into sending $35000 to a man using the name of Thomas Benjamin. I used Tineye and uploaded his picture and found out he was a scammer and has been doing this for sometime now. Using different names to contact people with various photos of the same person on hangouts WhatsApp Facebook Twitter etc. He told me he was a captain and an engineer overseas and that he lost his wife 3 years ago and that he has a son living in Reno, Nevada. I have been speaking with him for 2 1/2 months now on the hangouts app everyday and he is very romantic but his English is broken at times which he explains away as typos. I fell for every excuse he gave me. He told me he was in a platform in the North Sea called Buzzard Field unable to get home unless I send money to get these documents he needs in order to be paid for his job and for the company to release his passport. He even was able to have an agent and company representative contact me the the WhatsApp to make all this more believable. I found all this out yesterday and sent him the meanest text I could think of and told him I never wanted to hear from him again. I just can’t believe I fell for all his lies.
Sophie123
New survivor

Re: I was scammed

Unread postby firefly » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:12 pm

Sophie123,

I am really sorry knowing you got scammed. The story he told you sounds familiar and I am almost sure the stolen pictures he used are already reported somewhere on our forum.

I would really appreciate if you can forward to me the emails / pictures / documents he sent, including also all the details about the monies he asked for and where the monies were sent.

You can find my email address below, under this post.

The details you have may save someone else soon.

Report the case to your local police. If you send money to a bank account, contact your bank and report that receiver bank account for fraud.

Please read viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26504 and apply those steps to protect yourself.

Here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37058 you can find some elements that might help you dealing with this awful event.
Help yourself by helping others - report your scammer here.
Google can be your best friend;use it if you have doubts about someone met online. If someone met online only asks for money, no matter what reason, it´s 100% scam.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26504
firefly
"Nut job" admin.

Return to Romance scams.