Advert.

Do NOT tell your scammer he is posted here, or report their accounts as it puts others at risk!

Surgeondoctor2244@gmail.com

This section deals specifically with online romance scams. The images used by the scammers are stolen from innocent people, usually from their social media pages.

Unread postby baz » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:16 am

I am a disabled, homebound adult (40f). I live with my mother (66f) who is my paid caretaker. I manage her business. I have a sister (36f) who is Mom's only other child. Our father, Mom's husband, died 3.5 years ago.

For the past two months, she has been being romance scammed. He was pretending to be a surgeon working for Doctors Without Borders through the UN. My sister and I had found out about the guy contacting her and got her to block him almost immediately after the scam started, but she unblocked him and kept going without telling us. She moneygrammed him $900 which we did not know about because she withdrew it from the bank in cash at the end of November and marked it holiday money. She wired out $3500 from her bank account without telling me. When I questioned her about it (as I said, I manage her bills) she threw a fit that she can't even surprise me without me questioning her, and told me it was to get our bathroom converted into a walk-in shower for me for Christmas, which is something we've been talking about for years so I believed her and thanked her. Then she wired out $48,000 and told me that the contractor she used was a scammer and did that. We believed her again. At that point her bank closed her account. She told me it was because of the fraudulent transactions. The bank took back the 48k and returned it to her along with the remainder of her account.

Her scammer told her to get me to set her up a new bank account - which I did, using my own money to start - and I transferred all her bills and income streams even while he and she were deceiving me and even laughing at me, a little. She then proceeded to wire the 48k again. When I caught that, she told me and my sister that it was part of a Wells-Fargo and Interpol scam to catch the people who pretended to be the contractor she was originally scammed by. We let this go on for a couple of days before two days ago, when I finally cracked into her email and read the second half of the history with the scammer - the first half she had deleted by accident.

She apparently came to her senses a couple days after the last transfer, just a couple days before we confronted her, and we are trying to get that back. It might happen, might not - he apparently does not have it yet.

My sister and I changed her email password, blocking her from the account; got her to understand she needed to cut off contact with him, which was easier since she had just realized it was a scam, and proceeded to file a police report. She has her email back now and has not been corresponding with him.

The big problem for me at this point is this: She discussed repeatedly with him what a burden I am. She told him, unprompted and before the big wire transfer, that I made her life hell. She planned with him to sell the family home that I live in, kick me to the curb, and get a new house with him.

Now she tells me that all of this was lies. She tells me she loves me so much and never wanted to change our life together. She did tell him some lies during the time he was scamming her, but she also shared plenty of family in-jokes and secrets that were totally true. She started talking like this before she even tried to transfer the $48k for the first time. She says she was caught up in the excitement of it all. She says she always planned to stay in this house with me. But she sent him multiple real estate links.

If she was at all serious about me with him, the best thing for me to do would be get her changed as the executor of my trust, put in for low-income disabled housing near my sister, and basically do everything I can to divorce my finances from hers - while pretending not to change anything until move-out day comes, because it can take months to get a place.

How can I trust what she says now? She has been lying by omission daily since 11/9 and more directly dozens of times. Even her repeatedly telling me she was "too tired to do bills" was an attempt to keep me from looking at her bank account and seeing the $3500 wire transfer. The one rebellion she had was the guy told her to take my computer, and she knew she couldn't possibly because I am literally on it every minute I am awake, so she talked him off that and used the more minor lies.

She says she feels so stupid now and like she went a little nuts. I recognize that she is hurting too from the loss of the relationship she thought she had, but she seems to act like I should be over the deception already. She says repeatedly that she just wants to put it behind her. I'm just not ready to unthinkingly depend on her again. Any advice would be welcome.
baz
New survivor

Unread postby baz » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:22 am

My mom was scammed by this guy SurgeonDoctor2244@gmail.com. He claims his name is Kean Daugherty, that he is an orthopedic surgeon with Doctors Without Borders through the UN in Syria, and that he has a son named Kelly in a marine military academy in Italy. He contacted her for the first time on 11/9 and they corresponded using Hangouts and WhatsApp from then until we confronted her with it on 1/20. Initially he requested $900 via Moneygram, then $3500 via wire transfer, then $48,000 via wire transfer. She sent the first two; sent the last one, then tried to recall it, we don't know if she'll get it back. He also requested she sell her jewelry, take a loan, borrow money from her other daughter, and that she get him an Amazon gift card, all of which she resisted.

The international wire address was:
Name : d. s. multiservizi di konate abdel kadrr & c
Account number : 0005xxxx
Iban : it 57a054241541000000005xxxx
Bic/swift : bpbait3bxxx
Nome name : Banca popolare di bari
Adress : via Vittorio Emanuele 352
Post code 65127
City: Pescara, Italy

He provided a domestic wire address in case the international one didn't work:
Weokie Federal Credit Union
Account name: Diane C.
Routing # 303085638
Account #005459xxxx
Bank Address: 310 S Kelly Ave, Edmond, OK 73003
Beneficiary address: xxxx Trout St
Oklahoma City OKLAHOMA 73120
United States

Mom unfortunately deleted almost every email she's ever received the day after we confronted her, apparently accidentally, so I have no quotes. There was a slightly British flavor to the English - when she sent her phone number, he said he already had it "in his diary", which is not something an American man likely would have said.
baz
New survivor

Re: Surgeondoctor2244@gmail.com

Unread postby baz » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:30 am

The initial photo.
Attachments
KeanDaughterty.jpg
baz
New survivor

Unread postby baz » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:42 am

And Mom just found more photos she had saved from the Hangouts messages before she deleted them.

Here's one:
Attachments
Kean2.jpg
baz
New survivor

Unread postby baz » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:43 am

And another:
Attachments
Kean3.jpg
baz
New survivor

Unread postby baz » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:44 am

And another, purportedly from 20 years ago:
Attachments
KeanOld.jpg
baz
New survivor

Unread postby SlapHappy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:16 pm

baz.

It's never easy when relatives are indirectly involved in a scam.
Maybe reading these will help, and make sure she reads them, as well.

How the scams work & Instructional videos
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24589

What to do if you are a victim of a scam
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26504

The post-scam stage - waking up to reality
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37058

Expect an email, asking for more information.
If anyone asks you for money on the Internet they are always a scammer, 100% of the time.
Blackmail Scammed? Go here: https://www.scamsurvivors.com/blackmail/#/
FAQ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19
Victim of a scam? Go here: https://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=26504
SlapHappy
Retired admin/co creator

Location: Just a face in a magazine, watching you post your scammer's details.

Return to Romance scams.